Monday, January 2, 2012

SUGAR FREE Healthy Strawberry Dessert

I spent this past Sunday creating new designs in sewing and creating new healthy food recipes. A successful and productive Sunday.

Still staying completely away from sugar and figuring out how to make desserts that taste just as great using a natural sweetener, Stevia, I was able to come up with a fun and flashy :-) dessert this past weekend. Here is a picture of the finished dessert! Smelled and tasted delicious. Here's how I made it......

Mixed about 1 teaspoon of corn starch in with a little bit of water and set aside. (Corn starch is the main thickening agent in this dessert.)

A few weeks back I had tried my hands at creating a pasty using rice flour that turned out to be a total flop, so I crushed the pastry and put in the freezer. This past weekend, I took the crushed crumbs out of the freezer and decided to use it as my crust for my strawberry treats. (The pastry was made just using common sense.....water, rice flour, olive oil, and a tiny, tiny pinch of stevia...kneaded the pastry into balls and baked in oven for about 30 minutes I think.)

I packed the rice flour crumbs into a muffin tin to form a crust.

Then, I cut up a few whole strawberries into 4 quarter pieces and placed them on top of my rice flour crumb crust.

Here is a photo of the kind of stevia that I use to bake with. You have to get this kind of pure stevia either from ordering it online, or going to a health food store, but it's worth it...Zero calories, and all natural made from vegetables!

Next, over medium heat, I mashed up about 25 ounces of strawberries in a sauce pan, and added a pinch of stevia to it to sweeten it. (Turns out 25 ounces of strawberries was way too much and I have about half of my cooked strawberry mixture left and now sitting pretty in my freezer waiting to be used for something else. I would say you only 16 ounces of strawberries to successfully make this dish fit into 6 muffin tins.)

Once the strawberries had come to a boil in their own juice, I added, not all, but a bit of my corn starch and water mixture that I had made earlier stirring it constantly and adding the corn starch mixture until the strawberries had thickened to a desired thickness.

Then I poured the thickened and cooked strawberry mixture over the cut up whole strawberries and the crust, cut up a kiwi and garnished, then covered and let set in the frig overnight.

In the morning when I checked out my dessert, it had thickened completely and was ready to eat, so it was my breakfast! Tasted yummy and is very low in calories and made from completely healthy ingredients. Who said dessert has to be unhealthy?! :-) This picture and the next two pics are the up close and personal yummy finished result!


2 comments: