Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lentils

Here's how my lentils look when I make them. (This post is specifically for a friend who asked me how I make my lentils.) I just wash them, drain the water, put them in a large pot with about 6 cups of water, sprinkle in lots of garlic salt and lots of basil (I totally dig basil! :-) ) I don't measure the seasoning, just sprinkle it in using common sense and how much flavor kick I want...turn stove top heat to medium high, bring the water and lentils to a boil, then cover pot with lid, and reduce heat to low. After I reduce the heat to low, I usually let the lentils stay on the stove top on low for about 25 minutes and then turn them off, drain them, and eat! Yummy. Keep in mind I tend to like my lentils done, but still a little on the "crunchy side" crunchy is not really the word I mean, but I'm at a blank. Most people like their lentils a little more done and mushier, some even prefer them pureed, not I though....Here's the health benefits of lentils copied and pasted off the 'net....
These beans are filled with high-quality vegetarian protein and fiber, which boost energy and mood. A GREAT source of iron. They’re inexpensive and they cook up in 30 minutes or less. Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up--not out.

No comments:

Post a Comment