Friday, July 5, 2013

A Fab/Fun 4th of July

 Rhonda Davis is here visiting from Florida staying at my place for the time being before she shifts over to the AC campus to work summer camp later on next week.  She, Jamie Hawkins, and myself had a girls day out on the 4th of July!  Guthrie, Oklahoma is the first spot that settlers at the land run settled in Oklahoma, so it was the first city and capital of Oklahoma before the capital later relocated to Oklahoma City in modern times.  Many of the original old buildings from Guthrie's golden age still stand in this antique town, so we spent the afternoon walking around the historical town of Guthrie.  We took some pictures to share our fun yet educational girls day with you all!  ABOVE:  Pic of Rhonda and Jamie in a fun coffee bar/smoothie shop in Guthrie.

 Before airplanes railroads were the main source of travel.  I know, duh!  This sign tells the story of what use to be Oklahoma's main and only railway train station located in Guthrie which was the main public transportation hub back in the day instead of the now airport down in OKC and the modern Amtrack train station now in OKC.
 So we all did goofy damsel in distress railroad photos.  ABOVE:  Yours truly goofing off/ BELOW:  Rhonda Davis goofing off.  The train station obviously is closed these days, but the train track is still active w/trains that still pass through, so we looked both ways, made sure a train wasn't coming and went for the fun!  Jamie posed too, but she forbid me to post her pic.  ha, ha!


 Still at the train station
 Half of this photo is missing.  I was sporting free advertisement for Jeremiah Musical Memorabilia.  :-)  Below is Rhonda posing at the old station.

LOVED the graffiti on this pic!  Pretty funny.  Saw it before leaving the old train station.
 Jamie and Rhonda downtown on a fun bench with people cutouts
 Found this old abandoned car downtown, so we all took turns posing with it.
 Jamie's pose
 Rhonda's Pose
 My Pose

 Love this pic of Rhonda
 I'm usually an all "water girl" but since it was a holiday I struck out with a mango smoothie with sugar!  I'm a wild one!  :-)
 In an antique shop, a spindle!!!
 So this was the happening spot back in the day!

 Love how the "horse tie up" aka, the bar to tie your horse to while you were inside, still stands in front of this once happening spot saloon  Below is a pic of the saloon from across the street.

 Found and old antique sewing machine!  So cool I think I'll just take this with me.  Wait, it's too heavy!  :-)
 The original antique state capital building in Guthrie.
 Jamie and Rhonda pose in front of the once Oklahoma State Capital.  (The new capital building is of course in OKC now)

Our funny blooper of the day!  So we saw this cool looking antique staircase with an open door and decided to take a walk up it...When we got to the top we find out it's someone's house!  ha, ha,  Oops talk about accidental trespassers!  The owner was nice about it, but his dog sure was barking at us.  ha, ha!  Accidental break in!

It was the 4th of July, so we stopped by a firework stand and got a few fireworks.  (My bro and sis in law are putting on a BIG firework show this coming weekend which is when we will celebrate the 4th), but in the meantime we set off a few of our own before our dogs got scared and out of compassion we quit.

So with the fireworks going off mostly from our closest neighbors and I guess our little puny ones, we successfully scared the dogs, our two Great Pyrenees dogs...btw...we did inherit them after our neighbor moved so they are our dogs now...and this one was so scared he forced his way into my house something it's never tried before, and refused to leave, so my heart melted and I let him stay in my laundry/shoe room keeping watch to make sure my shoes didn't get chewed  Poor dog was so scared of the fireworks going off around us chewing things up were the last thing on its little dog brain!

 Of course I have to add a food post in!  Our yummy 4th of July breakfast that I whipped up before our afternoon on the town.  I'm sure I gained weight over the weekend.  I'm only showing the healthy food we ate.  :-)!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Great pics! Wonderful history! I didn't know your neighbors moved and they were your dogs now! Who knew!

    ReplyDelete