Friday, November 23, 2012

Homemade Crispy and Crunchy Onions

So I don't know why, but many people were surprised that I didn't use the canned store bought fried onions, and here asking how I made my own b/c they liked it.  I thought it was common knowledge, but for those that asked, it's just like making southern fried chicken.  I beat 3 brown cage free eggs in 2 tbsp of SMOKED paprika, note the smoked paprika, not the regular kind, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1.5 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground.  I mixed/beat that all together in one bowl and set aside.  In another bowl, mixed together 3 cups flour. (Because it was thanksgiving and we were all breaking diets anyway, I went with all purpose white flour to get the same texture and taste of the store bought kind.) I mixed it with 4 tbsp smoked paprika, 4 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, 3 tbsp sea salt and set aside.  I cup up one large onion, and then dumped the cut onion into the egg mixture bowl and tossed it until all onion pieces were coated with the egg mixture pretty heavily, then I dumped the coated onion pieces into the flour bowl and tossed until all onion was covered in flours.  In a large skillet I heated up hot grease and then dumped the onion in and fried until done.  Then put the done fried onion on top of the green bean casserole that I had already put together (just french cut green beans with turkey bacon, cheddar cheese, cream of mushroom soup, and black pepper), and baked the casserole for about 20 minutes, and vahlah, the onions were crunchy and crispy just like the store bought.  Pretty simple. (Putting the onions in the oven right after frying them is the trick to get the crunch.)


No comments:

Post a Comment