Sunday, February 19, 2012

Yummy Spicy Chili







...and still stuck at home recovering from being sick...so today was the Sunday of cooking. Last week I was telling a friend growing up that my parents were always involved in chili cookoffs and such, and that I think it would be cool to host one, so I've had chili on the mind, but since I was ill last week, food wasn't something that I consumed much of, so now that I can taste again, chili was my kickoff to a what do you do when you're stuck inside your house all day weekend recovering from being sick....don't want to over do anything while recuping, so of of course cooking is what I did. The chili came out fantastic. At least I thought so...it's way, way spicy, not too spicy, but not for those who don't like spicy things....I loaded it w/jalepeno peppers, cayenne pepper, etc. I think this is helping me to get well. Zesty all natural healthy ingredients and I'm sooooo happy it came out! I basically mixed a bunch of peoples chilis together into one w/the ingredients that I liked.


Zesty and Spicy Chili
Ingredients:
2 lbs lean all natural grass fed ground beef
1 large yellow onion; diced
16 oz pinto beans
16 oz black beans
3.5 cups freshly diced tomatoes
10 oz all natural tomato sauce
2 jalapeƱo peppers, minced

½ cup chili powder (recipe to make all natural chili powder below)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Soak and then cook pinto and black beans in together in a big pot. Set aside. Cook and stir the beef, onion in a large pot over medium heat until the beef is brown and onion are tender. Drain grease from beef. For a few minutes fry the chopped jalepeno peppers in a skillet for about 2 minutes, and remove from heat. Stir in cooked beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapenos, chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Bring mixture to a slow boil; cover and reduce heat. The longer you let your chili simmer, the more flavorful it will be.


Healthy Homemade Chili Powder

8 tsp garlic powder

8 tsp ground cumin

6 tsp paprika

6 tsp oregano

6 tsp red cayenne pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment