Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How to make the champagne cake

 Someone asked for the recipe on my blog, so here is how it was made.  Not a big deal since I always photograph new things in the making anyway for my own future reference.  I can't take credit for making the recipe, I used a recipe from online.
Started off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and then by separating 12 eggs whites from the yolks.

 Next, mixed 6 cups of flour, 6 tsp of baking powder, 1.5 tsp of salt, 2 cups butter, 4 cups sugar, 2.5 tsp vanilla extract, the 12 eggs whites, and 4 cups of champagne together in a large mixing bowl as shown below.
 Bubbly dough.  :-)
 Divided batter into 4 spring form cake pans....two larger pans of the same size, and then two slightly smaller pans of the same size.  Baked in oven for 35 minutes, and then removed from oven and let cool.
 I stopped taking pics b/c it got super busy b/c of the time crunch, but while the cake was cooling I made the frosting.  To make the frosting the recipe called for 180 grams unsalted butter though I did NOT use nearly that much as I don't have an electric mixer, so I tweaked the recipe in which I can't remember all that I did, but going by the book you would use the butter as mentioned above, 3 cups confectioners sugar, 1.5 cup of champagne, 1/8 cup of milk, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.  Mix it all together and what do you have....the frosting as shown below on the finished cake.
To put the cake together is just like it looks....bigger 2 cakes on the bottom, slightly smaller cakes on the top with icing in between all of the layers....then top it as you wish.  I used berries and grapes as they go well with champagne.  :-)  Voila!

1 comment: