Monday, January 13, 2014

Culinary Elegance's Latest Adventures in the Kitchen

 This past Sunday was a total Culinary Elegance day.  I took tons of leftover cranberries out of the freezer, and decided to make sugar free homemade jelly/jam.  Put cranberries in big pot with 1 cup of agave nectar and a pinch of pure powedered stevia as the natural sweeteners
Brought to a boil, and then turned heat to low stirring constantly, and popping any cranberries that didn't split from the heat..
 Added Pectin (crucial ingredient to make jelly) and continued to stir on low for about 4 minutes.  Removed from heat...let cool completely and vahlah, as shown below...yummy homemade healthy cranberry jelly!

 Needed to use up some gluten free brown rice flour that was getting old.  Decided to make a loaf of gluten free brown rice flour bread.  (I always like to say I eat gluten free b/c of being allergic to gluten, but there is nothing wrong with whole wheat, it's actually healthy as opposed to the deadly, man processed white flour, I just can't digest wheat, or any gluten, so healthy gluten free flours/breads for me it is.)   The full recipe for my gluten free bread loaf can be found in The Cookbook of Culinary Elegance for sale on Amazon.com.
 Poured mixed dough into well greased bread loaf pan.
 Vahlah...a beautiful loaf of healthy gluten free brown rice bread with no preservatives.


 Decided to turn tomatoes that were getting to what I call "that questionable point" of what is too overripe into homemade tomato paste in the oven....basically peel skin off tomatoes....discard skin....cut up meat of tomatoes...mix with olive oil, sea salt, basil, onion, and garlic....put in sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil....once it has come to a boil....remove and put in oven safe casserole dish.....put in oven at 350 F for several hours, mixing every now and then, until tomato juice is dissolved and you have thick tomato paste texture.  Can be used to make tomato sauce and in lasagna etc.  Yummy homemade tomato paste that's all natural!

I had to eat lunch, so pulled some organic chicken breasts out.  I always make sure the chicken I eat is truly organic....regular chicken is the worst these days with hormones pumped in it.  If it's not natural,  I always joke and say as a woman I already have enough estrogen in me .  :-)  I used brown rice flour, chopped onion, paprika, sage, garlic, pepper, and sea salt in both my flour mixture and egg mixture....If you're reading this and have never made southern fried chicken, the full recipe for the gluten free version of fried chicken can be found in "The Cookbook of Culinary Elegance."

Cane out perfect.  It's difficult to get gluten free flour to come out looking and tasting as beautiful as more commonly used flours in fried chicken.
 Wanted to make a healthy gravy for chicken, so cooked some white northern beans with seasonings of my choice.  Used organic rice milk, since I'm allergic to cows milk.
 Once cooked, poured into my power blender
 put on puree setting and pureed
 vahlah....delicious homemade gravy made from healthy beans instead of the heavy cream used in most gravy's as such!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is great Carolyn! I love it. It all looks so delicious and I especially like that you posted about homemade tomato paste and the white bean gravy....awesome! Sometimes you just don't realize how much you can do yourself, or differently!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And voila - you've gone and made me hungry! :) Well, it IS lunchtime so off to my kitchen for stuffed bellpeppers (although I really want some fried chicken now)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna! I really do like the culinary arts! Like you said, it's always so much fun to see what you can do when you eat all natural, unprocessed foods.
    Ha, ha Melinda! Since you all eat gluten free too, you should make yourself some gluten free fried chicken for lunch today! :-) You're a step ahead of me since you've made your own gluten free flour before from scratch. I've never attempted that, yet!

    ReplyDelete