Thursday, March 2, 2017

Real Life Piano Lesson Funnies

You know that you have small hands and had piano lessons the evening before when you wake up in the middle of the night and one of your hands is throbbing in pain from your teacher drilling you on a full octave stretch with every finger playing a key at the same time except for one finger; with a fast song repeating stretching your hand over and over to reach the notes in fast proper timing.  (My little finger is having a hard time reaching that final note...my poor hand is catching havoc in stretching.  OUCH!)  Advanced piano lessons can be described as a gym membership workout for the hands. 

Every week my teacher gives me several new songs to learn, and this week, she was playing through one of them, when I stopped her mid song....totally not thinking...just speaking.....not recommended.....and told her that I didn't like the song, didn't want to play it, and that it sounded like a song you would hear at a funeral.  She looked at me and said, "Well maybe you need to learn to play funeral songs!"  LOL  Then, she found another song for me in G flat major with SIX flats.  Yeah, my punishment...much more difficult one to learn.  I told her it's okay, after she played it, it sounded more beautiful.  LOL!  All in good "playing" fun.  :-)!

From a few weeks back......
....so I was playing this song in piano lessons super slowly b/c I didn't know it like I should have.  My teacher told me it should go a lot faster.  I looked up at the music, and it happened to be on a page where it said to ritard.  So I stopped playing and pointed to the music and told my teacher, I'm not slow, the music is "ritarded."  LOL  (For those non musician friends, in music ritard is spelled ritard and means to slow down.....

No comments:

Post a Comment