Thursday, March 8, 2012

Healthy TURNIP Fries




Wendy, Kim, and Justin Bacon's mom and step Dad gave me a big bag of turnips from their garden. (They also shared another bag with my parents.) In my diet these days I have replaced potatoes with turnips since they have a lot more nutritional value than a potato and I can do the same things with turnips as potatoes....make mashed turnips instead of mashed potatoes, make french "turnip" fries instead of the traditional french fries made from potatoes. Here are pics that I shot of my healthy french fries. I baked them instead of frying. :-) Peeled skin off turnips, cut them up into fries, coated them with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt, and vahlah...yummy.

From the Internet
Turnips
are a "starch" vegetable, but provide only one third the amount of calories asan equal amount of potatoes. Turnips provide an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber,folic acid, manganese, pantothenic acid, and copper. They also offer a very goodsource of thiamine, potassium, niacin, and magnesium. In addition, they are a goodsource of vitamin B6 and E, folic acid, and riboflavin.

No comments:

Post a Comment