Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornado Yesterday

Yesterday was a crazy day in Oklahoma. There were 4 tornadoes that touched down...one in Piedmont, one close to Norman, one in Oklahoma City, and one in Guthrie, yeah, my home town! Businesses closed early sending employees home, Oklahoma is one of the states in the USA "used to" tornadoes....Texas and Kansas are the other two big tornado alley states, so we are prepared for them, as much as you can be prepared for a storm that's going to huff and puff and blow you away!

I was down in the basement of our 20 million dollar auditorium with fellow coworkers for almost 2 hours. I'm blessed to work there, and it's one of the safest buildings in Oklahoma and even the bordering states. From the bsmt of the auditorium we were watching the track of the tornado on TV at first it was headed straight for us, then it veered and headed right for my home town of Guthrie where I live in South East Guthrie. Said a quick prayer, and it was at that very moment that the storm veered left and lost some of it's fury though it did touch down in West Guthrie destroying property there, it was nothing like it could have been, and it didn't hit my property at all. Being a gal who grew up in Texas, tornado alley,and now living my adult life in Oklahoma, also tornado alley, I have seen first hand the destruction of many tornadoes. Down in the auditorium basement there of course was no cell phone service underground, can't even hear the rain and wind that was happening outside underground. ......so as soon as we were released and I got above ground, my phone almost instantly started ringing, and then text messages popped up, and I had several voice mails already that suddenly popped up. I was overwhelmed with love! I'm blessed with some caring amazing friends! When I drove back home, I took the interstate to highway 33 on the East side, the tornado had hit on highway 33 in Guthrie on the West side, and sure enough, I saw debris on the highway that had been blown from the west side. Quite sobering. So, we all survived yesterday. So, after all of that, and with more house guests coming in today, I will be taking the rest of the week off from designing and will pick up my new designs next week though next week is another busy one, but that's my life! A blessing to always be busy!

If you want to read more news about the tornado that hit my town of Guthrie, see this link: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-guthrie-man-makes-it-to-storm-shelter-just-in-time/article/3571166

No comments:

Post a Comment